What is Mena (Middle East and North Africa)?
For those traveling or planning to do business in MENA (Middle East and North Africa), it’ll be useful to know terms and facts about the region.
As a wide classification, the Middle East is often grouped together with parts of the region of Africa. Hence, it’s called MENA, which stands for Middle East and North Africa.
The region of MENA comprises of the land stretching from Western Asia to North Africa. Surrounding oceans touch the majority of the countries, which include the Atlantic Ocean and other bodies of water such as the Mediterranean Sea, Red Sea, Persian Gulf, and the Arabian Sea that flows out into the Indian Ocean.
What are the countries in MENA?
The grouping of countries in MENA differs between different organizations. According to the World Bank, MENA includes these 21 countries.
1. Algeria 2. Bahrain 3. Djibouti 4. Egypt (Arab Republic of Egypt) 5. Iran (Islamic Republic of Iran) 6. Iraq 7. Israel 8. Jordan 9. Kuwait 10. Lebanon 11. Libya 12. Malta 13. Morocco 14. Oman 15. Qatar 16. Saudi Arabia 17. Syrian (Syrian Arab Republic) 18. Tunisia 19. United Arab Emirates 20. West Bank and Gaza 21. Yemen (Republic of Yemen)
What is the historical Importance of MENA (Middle East and North Africa)?
- MENA is the birthplace of major religions: Islam, Christianity, and Judaism.
- The region serves as the crossroads between Europe, Asia, and Africa. In addition to the fact that a majority of the countries are located near an ocean or sea, this makes MENA an ideal central hub for commerce.
- MENA holds greater than 50% of the world’s oil reserves and 40% of natural gas.
What is the demographic and economic statistics of MENA (Middle East and North Africa)?
- As of 2021, MENA has a population of around 472 million.
- MENA ethnic groups are made up of mostly of Arabs, Kurds, Turks, Azerbaijanis, and Persians but also consist of Assyrians, Balochs, Berbers, Copts, Druze, Zazas, Jews, Lurs, Shabaks, Samaritans, and Mandeans among its diverse inhabitants.
- Popular languages that are commonly spoken include Arabic, Persian or Farsi, Hebrew, and Kurdish.
- The MENA climate is typically hot and dry, especially in areas inland from the coasts.
Start exporting to the Middle East !!
The Middle East is a great potential market for Thai products. Export Thai Products to the Middle East with EAT.
Learn more about EAT export services from Thailand to the Middle East– Click Export ServicesContact us for more info
WeChat ID: eatconnection