The first ever Michelin Guide for Thailand have arrived
Michelin Guide Bangkok 2018 contains a total of 89 restaurants in Bangkok, with 17 of them being awarded Michelin Stars.
Michelin Stars Rating
The term “Michelin Stars” is a symbol of excellence awarded by the Michelin Travel Guide to grade restaurants on their quality. Being included in the Michelin Guide is one of the highest honors a restaurant can achieve.
The Michelin Guide is updated annually, and restaurants can lose their stars if they could not maintain their standards. The Michelin Star rating system goes from zero to three stars, with three stars being the highest rank.
One Michelin Star represents – “A very good restaurant in its category” Two Michelin Stars represents – “Excellent cooking, worth a detour” Three Michelin Stars Represents – “Exceptional Cuisine worth a Special Journey”
3 Restaurants in Bangkok were awarded Two Michelin Stars
- Gaggan Indian Cuisine Price 2400 THB ++ 68/1 Soi Lang Suan, Phloen Chit Road, Pathum Wan, Bangkok Tel. 02-652-1700 www.eatatgaggan.com
- Le Normandie French Cuisine Price 2400 THB ++ 5F, Mandarin Oriental Hotel, 48 Oriental Avenue, Bang Rak, Bangkok Tel. 02-659 9000 www.mandarinoriental.com
- Mezzaluna Fusion Europeon Japanese Cuisine Price 2400 THB ++ 65F, Tower Club at Lebua, 1055 Si Lom Road, Bang Rak, Bangkok Tel. 02-624 9555 www.lebua.com
14 Restaurants in Bangkok were awarded One Michelin Star
- Bo.lan โบ.ลาน Thai Cuisine Price 200 – 800 THB 24 Soi Sukhumvit 53, Vadhana, Bangkok Tel. 02-260-2961 www.bolan.co.th
- Chim by Siam Wisdom ชิม บาย สยาม วิสดอม Thai Cuisine Price 200 – 800 THB 66 Soi Sukhumvit 31 Yaek 4, Vadhana, Bangkok Tel. 02-260-7811
- J’Aime By Jean Michel Lorain French cuisine Price 800 – 1600 THB U Hotel Sathorn. Bangkok Tel. 02-119-4899 www.jaime-bangkok.com
- Nahm Thai Cuisine Price 800 – 1600 THB Como Metropolitian Hotel Sathorn, Bangkok Tel. 02-625-3333 www.comohotels.com/metropolitanbangkok/dining/nahm
- L’ Atelier De Joel Robuchon French Cuisine Price 1600 – 2400 THB 5th Floor, MahaNakhon CUBE, 96 Narathiwas Ratchanakharin Rd., Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok Tel. 02-001-0698 www.robuchon-bangkok.com
- Elements Fusion French Japanese Cuisine Price 1600 – 2400 THB Como Metropolitian Hotel Sathorn, Bangkok Tel. 02-687-9000 www.okurabangkok.com/en/restaurants-in-bangkok.html
- Ginza Sushi Ichi Japanese Cuisine Price 2400 THB ++ LGF, Erawan Bangkok Mall, 494 Phloen Chit Road, Pathum Wan, Krung Thep, Tel. 02-250-0014 www.facebook.com/ginzasushiichiBKK
- Paste Thai Cuisine Price 800 – 1600 THB 3F, Gaysorn Shopping Centre, 999 Phloen Chit Road, Pathum Wan, Bangkok Tel. 02-656-1003 www.pastebangkok.com
- Savelberg French Cuisine Price 2400 THB ++ Oriental Residence, 110 Witthayu Road, Pathum Wan, Bangkok Tel. 02-252-8001 www.savelbergth.com
- Sra Bua by Kiin Kiin Thai Cuisine Price 1600 – 2400 THB GF, Siam Kempinski Hotel, 991/9 Rama 1 Road, Pathum Wan, Bangkok Tel. 02-162-9000 www.kempinski.com/en/bangkok/siam-hotel/dining/sra-bua-by-kiin-kiin
- Saneh Jaan เสน่ห์จันทน์ Thai Cuisine Price 800 – 1600 THB 130-132 Sindhorn Tower, Witthayu Road, Pathum Wan, Bangkok Tel. 02-650-9880 www.facebook.com/sanehjaan
- Jay Fai เจ๊ไฝ Thai Cuisine Price 200 – 800 THB 327 Samran Rat Intersection, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok Tel. 02-223-9384
- Upstairs at Mikkeller American Cuisine Price 2400 THB ++ 26 Soi Ekamai 10 Yaek 2, Vadhana, Bangkok Tel. 091-713-9034 www.upstairs-restaurant.com
- Suhring German European Cuisine Price 2400 THB ++ No.10, Yen Akat Soi 3,Chongnonsi, Yannawa, Bangkok Tel. 02-287-1799 www.restaurantsuhring.com
Michelin Guide Criteria
Michelin Restaurant Inspectors do not consider the look at the interior décor, table setting, or service quality when awarding stars. Every Michelin inspector is anonymous in order to keep their opinion independence. The Michelin Stars rating system is based on the restaurant quality of food following the Michelin Guide 5 criteria:
- The quality of ingredients
- Master of cooking techniques
- The chef’s personality
- Value for money
- The consistency of cooking between visits
The truth behind the term “Michelin Chef” and “Michelin Restaurant”
The truth that not many people may know is that the Michelin Guide awards Michelin Stars only to restaurants. This means that no Michelin stars are awarded to chefs, or to any individual person.
Therefore, the term “Michelin chef” is not fully correct, since the Michelin Guide rating system is based on the collective effort of the kitchen not just that of the chefs. The correct term would be “Michelin restaurant”, not “Michelin chief”.
Furthermore, chefs do not take the Michelin stars with them. The stars stay with that particular restaurant. As a result, the restaurants can still retain the stars if the chefs leave. The Stars can also not be shared or transferred to other restaurants or franchises even if they are owned by the same chef.